Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hawaiian Hug in Progress

I have been working on the batik blocks that I made at Retreat. In case you don't remember, here are the blocks I made at Retreat.


I am working from a pattern which called for sashing the blocks with corner stones. Never one to follow a pattern exactly, I chose my own fabrics instead of using their suggestions.


I decided to use Kona Navy for the sashing and picked a few of the indigo prints from the blocks for the corner stones. Now I am making and adding the borders.


Above you can see that I have the first two borders on. Third border is pieced then there is another narrow orange border and a wider of the blue batik stripe. I think I have about 4 yards of the blue batik stripe! It is really pretty but why did I buy 4 yards? I must have been planning to use it as backing too. I probably will use some of it on the back but I also have a bunch of squares and rectangles left over from the blocks and pieced border that I'd like to put on the back. I think I'll finish the top first before worrying about the back!

I'm in a hurry with this because I have decided that I would like to try to finish it for a Christmas gift. I believe I started this with the intention of it being a gift. (It has been several years so I can't really remember clearly anymore! LOL) When I got it back out at Retreat I thought it would make a nice birthday gift for a certain someone. However, their birthday is in the summer so maybe a quilt would make a better Christmas gift and I'll give them what I had planned for Christmas on their birthday. Confusing, I know, but I'm sure somebody out there has done this same kind of thing before.

2 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

I think that is going to make a wonderful Christmas gift!

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, I think it's just great. When I saw your first photo, I thought, "I think one of those green blocks needs to go in the bottom row, too." And then in the next photo, I saw you did that! I can't wait to see how the next border turns out.

That is so funny about why you have so much of that stripe. That happens to me all the time. I buy stuff and don't make it for a few years, and then I can't remember why exactly I had so much of this or so little of that. And I change things up (like the birthday/Christmas thing) all the time! Good going on this! You've made great progress. The fabrics and colors are just fantastic. And I love those little pinwheels in the centers of the blocks.