Sunday, November 21, 2010

Next Art Group Project

My art group has completed most of the projects we wanted to do in the current book we are working through. We've been doing a lot of wonky piecing recently. So continuing in that theme, I suggested we do some wonky stars next month.


Since I suggested it, I have to figure out how to make them to be able to teach the rest of the group. Above are pictured my first two tries. The turned out pretty good. I'd probably like them better in different fabrics. However, I made these practice stars using the same scraps as I used for my first wonky piecing practice blocks. I am planning to continue practicing using these scraps. I am making all 9" and 4.5" finished size blocks so that they will easily go together when I get enough. I'm also planning to wonkify (I know it's not a real word but I hope you know what I mean) a few other star blocks.

Have you ever purchased any fabric from Connecting Threads? I get their catalog but I haven't purchased any fabric from them in many years. Mainly because they don't carry the style of fabric that I prefer. However, last week I purchased a magnetic pin holder from them and decided to get some other stuff too. You know you get free shipping if you spend $50. It would have been cheaper to just pay the shipping on the one thing I needed, but I'm glad I allowed myself to splurge. Look what I got!


In the picture you can see the pin holder in the top left of the photo. I got myself the green one. It works quite well. I am getting tired of moving my pin holders around my sewing room. And the new kitten, Goldie, loves to pull pins out of pin cushions and drop them on the floor to chase. I am just so tired of trying to keep one step ahead of her that I thought I'd give this a try. You put it on you shirt so your pins are always with you. The only problem I have had so far is remembering that it is there since I'm so used to using my other pin cushions!

The fabric is from their Quilter's Candy Basics line. I got the Bright Palette, no big surprise there. The Fresh Palette and Garden Palette also caught my eye. I was pleasantly surprised by the fabric quality. I was worried it would be really low quality because it doesn't cost very much. I wouldn't classify it as "quilt shop quality" but it is probably comparable to good quality JoAnn's fabric. I also bought one spool of their Essential cotton 50 wt. thread just to give it a try. I got the Fushia color. I am really trying to move toward using Aurifil thread as much as I can because it is such nice thread. But I have never tried this thread and it goes so nicely with the fabric. After I have used it, I'll let you know what I think.

3 comments:

SewLindaAnn said...

I'm curious to see how you like working with the thread and fabric. I tried purchasing their fabric once, on a 50% off sale. I still have it, but found it to be very flimsy and not very well made. Maybe they're going with a different mfg. process now.

Barb said...

Ohhhhhh I love your fabrics and yes, I do order from them and love it.

Mama Pea said...

I haven't ever used their fabrics. I get the catalog, too (or I used to before I moved), and although there were cute things, there was never anything that got me to place an order. So, I'll be interested to see what you think. I really like the colors you picked out! I always figure that kind of fabric is good for making things other than quilts...like little bags, purses, placemats, etc.

I think your wonky stars are great. I like the fabrics they are made of. You may have told me this before, so I am sorry if I am asking again. What book are you working out of? I was at BN yesterday and was thinking, "I should try to buy that book Lynn is working out of," but I didn't know the title. Thanks!