Saturday, December 11, 2010

How did I do that?!

I'm still shaking my head about this one, but the crisis is now over. I finished quilting Hawaiian Hug late this morning. But check out what I found inside the quilt!!

I circled it on the photo in an attempt to make it more noticeable. (click on the photo to see it larger) Yup! That's a straight pin sticking out of one of the blocks on the front of the quilt. I found it by getting stuck while I was quilting. When I discovered this I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I put scotch tape around the end so it wouldn't go all the way in between the layers and so I would stop sticking myself with it. Here is a photo of the pin with tape around the end.

And it is one of the larger plastic pin head straight pins too! I finished quilting it then called my LQS to see if the Kona Navy fabric is in yet. Bummer, it's not. So I'm going to have to just use the Indigo I have in my stash. When you hold the two fabrics next to each other they are definitely different. But the two fabrics will not be next to each other in the quilt so I think it will be fine.

While I had my LQS on the phone, I explained my pin problem. I ended up driving my quilt over to the store so they could see the problem in person. It took a little doing, but we got it out through the back by spreading apart the weave of one of the more loosely woven fabrics and pulling it out. I will put a little fray check on the spot then I have a small piece of the fabric that I plan to fuse and hand applique over the spot. It shouldn't be too noticeable when I'm done. Whew! I was really freaking out at first.

I tried to take a photo of the finished quilting but I'm not able to get far enough back inside and it is very windy here today so I can't hang it on the clothesline. If the weather cooperates, I'll take one tomorrow.

I better get back to my sewing room. I heard from my husband a little while ago. Both husband and son are okay, but the guy they went with hurt his knee shortly after lunch today. So they are already at the hotel and don't know if he will be able to ski tomorrow. They may be back earlier than planned. He probably should not ski tomorrow regardless, but he and my husband are a bit ski-crazy. Husband broke his wrist last April skiing. Ski patrol would not treat him if he was going to continue skiing, so the two of them just taped up his wrist and continued for the rest of the day!


Barb said...

Oh wow.... well...atleast you got it out.... I don't know if you saw my blog but my mother made me a quilt and a pin is in it (got stuck) and now can' find it....oh well.....will worry about it tomorrow...HA!!! or until I get stuck again.

Melissa ;-) said...

Glad the LQS could help you! I have done that before, but now so far with the ones with the big plastic heads (knock on wood).

Mama Pea said...

Wow! I bet that was a real shocker! Glad you figured out how to get it out. I think your solution was good. If I knew what color of fabric you needed in Kona exactly I could check my store and see if I could send you some. Let me know if you want to do that. Hope the skiing is safe...