Monday, February 28, 2011

February Challenge is Curved Piecing

Today is the big reveal of the second challenge I'm doing with Stephanie from Peas in a Pod. She is also revealing her project today so please go visit her too. In case you forgot, we are working through Jean Wells' book Intuitive Color and Design. This month we did the second assignment - curved piecing.

First I started out by piecing some curved strips.


This is okay, but then I got totally distracted by my Radiator project. The link will take you to the post about my process creating it. Here is photo of the finished Radiator Quilt.


Back to my challenge project:

I didn't make any progress on my curved piecing assignment until the recent retreat. I took most of my solids with me on the retreat. The curved strips weren't thrilling me so I decided to try something like drunkards path blocks. I got so excited by the idea that I forgot to take pictures. But never fear, I did it again after I got home and I'll post how I made these blocks tomorrow.

So here are my drunkards path blocks along with the curved piecing strips.


Then I felt like combining these two some how. I ended up with this before leaving the retreat.


I sliced up the curved piecing strips into four sections and used it in the border. Then I machine pieced the whole thing. Voila!


I love how it turned out! I have titled it Circle Play.

As for Goldie, my son folded up one of his baby quilts and put it into her bag.


I think she likes it.

7 comments:

Barb said...

I am just amazed by all of the different ventures you take, love them!

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, it turned out great! You got a "two-fer" out of this one. How cool! I love how you did the drunkard's path blocks. That is really neat. I love the wonky strips in the border, too. Just great. You are so creative. I see you did pebbling (me, too). You are much better at it than I, but at least I gave it a go! I have to run right now, but I'll be writing my post in a couple of hours. Great work!

Linda said...

It really turned out great! Very striking!! Goldie is too funny!! :-)

Jackie said...

I have to follow you, I am loving this challenge you are doing and your work is sooo quilt artisty! I know that is not a word... I am with Mama Pea on the design team and she led me to you... Awesome quilt.

Tonya Ricucci said...

that turned out really well. woohoo on tackling another new technique - and doing so well with it. love love the kitty in a bag pic. what a sweetie pie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks be given to you entirely much for the relieve forum. I highbrow a lot and got to be acquainted with the instantly with captivating people. I'll be a resort to visitor.

lorrwill said...

That July 7, 2012 bot comment is a riot.