Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Retreat Mystery Block

Every guild retreat I've attended has had a Mystery Block project. Whoever is in charge picks a block then writes the clues that are handed out throughout the retreat for those who are participating. A few past blocks have been a dog, a penguin, a fish, and a really challenging flower. Initially we had a raffle to see who would win the blocks. Lately the Mystery Block chairperson has been taking all the blocks and turning them into a charity quilt.

Guess who was the Mystery Block chairperson for the retreat we had over the weekend? Me! I decided that I wanted to make a Quilt of Valor so I had everyone bring red, white, blue and gold fabric for the blocks. Here they are.


I had to make an extra block yesterday so that I'd have 20. I love how the blocks turned out! I hope to get the blocks together soon then I think this one needs a border.

This year's retreat was also the "jelly roll retreat." I showed everyone how to make the Jelly Roll 1600 quilt and how to make the one I called Noodle Surprise. The directions for that block can be found here. I made one of each which I'll show you another day. The batteries died in my camera just as I was getting ready to photograph my retreat stuff. I only got to take the one photo above of the Mystery Blocks.

8 comments:

Denise in PA said...

What a great Quilt of Valor! I love the gold in there - really sets it off. Great job!

Barb said...

What a wonderful quilt!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt. Love those points! Great job!

Deborah said...

I really like the gold added to the red, white and blue. Nice job!

Laurie said...

they look great :) what a wonderful thing to do! laurie

Deanna said...

Nice block design! Original or borrowed? What size are the finished blocks? I bet your quilters were really pleased.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, it turned out great! Yes, I think a small border and then a big border would be great on it. Nice job coordinating it. That's a nice idea to do at the retreat. Well done!

Melissa ;-) said...

What a great quilt! All the squares go so well together!