Monday, October 31, 2011

Modern Monday Quilt Along

I'm having such a good time with this quilt along. Thanks so much to Jenifer of Forty-Two Quilts for hosting.

The block for last week was a Mosaic block. I decided to take a few in progress photos to show you how I made my half-square triangles.

I followed Jenifer's directions and cut 3" squares for my backgrounds, then cut some triangle shapes.


Above is just a sample of the triangle shapes. I place a triangle on a background square and flipped it over to make sure it would cover most of the corner. Then sewed it to the background and pressed it over.


If you look closely (click the image to enlarge it) you can see that not all of my triangle pieces cover the background square. This doesn't matter because these will all get cut down to 2 1/2" squares and those little bits that are showing will get cut off.


I did exactly like Jenifer shows in her tutorial for this block and placed my little square over the block and trimmed to 2 1/2" square. I didn't even really bother with the grain line. I just tried to cut an interesting half-square triangle unit.


Above is my completed week 6 block. Below are all six of my blocks so far.


Hop over to Caroll's at Attic Window Quilt Shop to see her blocks.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

This looks like a cute and fun project. Your blocks are turning out t-riffic!

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

I really like your colours for the Modern Monday Sampler. The curve piecing in your alternate week 7 block is a cool look.