Friday, July 27, 2012

Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad

On July 4th we had a special treat - we rode the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad from Durango to Silverton and back. It was an all day event and very scenic. It was also sooty and chilly at times. I took LOTS of pictures that day. The whole trip was beautiful, even when it rained.



The train goes past a small resort that is accessible only by the train, Soaring Tree Top Adventures. They have a "trail" of zip lines for their guests. This guy zipped along side the train with an American flag, because it was the 4th of July I guess.

An old mine just outside of Silverton


The train had to stop several times for water since it was using a steam engine.



The train ran along side the Animas river most of the way. Notice the black cloud coming from the engine stack. We rode in a gondola car. It was excellent for photography, but quite sooty. We all needed showers when we got back.



The drop off along side the tracks was a bit scary in places, but what a view!

The train museum in Durango is also impressive. It is located at the depot. We've been there before years ago, when my son was 4 years old and Thomas the Tank Engine came to Durango.


He wasn't too sure about Sir Topham Hatt. My goodness he was small (and cute)!


This engine was a big hit then too. Guests are allowed to climb up into the engine and sit in the driver's seat. I didn't get a good picture of the inside of the engine this time but this is what it looked like in 2006.


There is also a very large model train set up in the middle of the museum with several trains running all the time. Little boys (and big boys too) can stand for quite a while and watch them go around. It is pretty detailed so there is lots to look at. There is no admission charge to the museum, although donations are welcome, so it is an economical way to entertain the family for a few hours.


3 comments:

Jo C. said...

What fun! I rode on that train when i was a kid...50 plus years ago!

Mama Pea said...

That looks just great! I have always wanted to ride that train. Have always heard it's really cool!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely trip down memory lane! My grandparents treated me to a ride on the narrow gauge when I was about 5. I remember grandma telling me to shake my dress not brush at it to get some of the soot off. It's a beautiful area!