Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Finish :: Charity Quilt

This is the second UFO finish for me for February. If you missed the first one, it was this one.

This is a very simple quilt, just some 5 inch by width of fabric strips sewn together.


I quilted it using my walking foot on my BERNINA. I used the serpentine stitch on my machine. I haven't quilted anything this large with a walking foot in a long time. I forgot how much shifting can happen. Also, when sewing lines, even wiggly lines, with a walking foot you need to sew them all in the same direction. If you know what to look for you can tell where the three or four lines are that I sewed the opposite direction from the rest. Hence the bowed look.

I opted to square up the quilt rather than finishing it wonky. So some of the bottom stripe had to be sacrificed. Oh well. The back is cute!


The serpentine stitch gives a nice texture but I will go back to free motion quilting for my next project.


4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a great idea for a charity quilt. I bet my granddaughter could do something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Gene Black said...

oops - I hit enter too quickly. What I meant to say was:
I have never done very well quilting with a walking foot. My worst free motion quilting was better than my walking foot quilting.
(you can delete that previous comment!)

Anonymous said...

Simple is good. I like the serpentine stitch and might try it free motion style in a larger scale.

Mama Pea said...

I love the back! I haven't tried the serpentine stitch before. I did not know you needed to go the same way all the time. Thanks for letting me know!