Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Over the River and Through the Woods Top Complete

Last week I showed you this nice circle of fabrics.

I took a stack of white squares like the one in the center of the above circle and turned them into 64 flying geese. The photo below shows just one flying geese unit from each fabric.

Then I trimmed up my embroidery panels and starting auditioning fabrics for the sashing and blocks.

Of the sixteen print fabrics I used, I only had a width of fabric piece from a few of them. The rest were fat quarters. So I was limited as to what I could use for the sashing pieces. I made it work. I choose the sashing fabrics first, because I had limited options for those. After auditioning which fabrics I wanted to use for the pieced blocks I turned the above very rough layout into the finished center shown below.

I worked out of order and all of my geese for the outer border were already done. So I just figured out a pleasing arrangement, sewed them into border strips and attached them.

Voila! The top is complete.

As luck would have it, I have enough of one of the blues to use for the binding. I just need to make a backing and quilt it up.


Gene Black said...

That is a very nice piece. I love the blue embroidery.

quiltonia said...

That is such a creative way to use those embroidery panels, love it.