Friday, May 6, 2022

Finish It Up Friday

 I got my Wind Drifter shop sample quilted. Patterns are available by clicking the link: Wind Drifter.

Wind Drifter Quilted

I quilted this very simply but I love the effect. I started by quilting a straight line from corner to corner diagonally in both directions. Then I used a ruler and quilted lines in a "V" shape to fill in each section. The lines are 3/4" apart. I used my Q20 longarm and a straight ruler but you could easily do the exact same thing with a walking foot on a regular sewing machine.

My other finish for this week is a Chunky Wee Zippy Pouch.

Chunky Wee Zippy Pouch

This is a new-to-me pattern and a new pattern that I have in my shop. There are several patterns on the market right now for these little duffle style bags but this is the only one I have found that has all the information you need in the pattern to make one in any size you want. It includes all of the information and measurements for three sizes of bag PLUS the fill-in-the-blank formulas so that you can make one whatever size you want. You do have to do a little arithmetic, but you don't have to start from scratch to figure out what size to cut your pieces so that you end up with a specific size bag. Very handy!

The pattern is very well laid out and well written with plenty of diagrams to help you out. It stands up nicely because you use interfacing and fusible web. I don't recommend using batting or foam batting like Soft and Stable. Those are just too thick for this pattern. I made my own pull tabs instead of using grosgrain ribbon as the pattern suggested - this was a mistake. I made my pull tabs too thick and had trouble sewing over them along with the zipper. I was able to make it work but on my next one I will either use ribbon or make the tabs with less layers of fabric.



No comments: