Monday, June 7, 2010

Thread Catchers from Old Jeans


I made these today. I saw this idea on Bonnie Hunter's blog. You cut the bottom part of the leg of a pair of jeans off and make a little bag out of it. I cut about 7" or 8" off. The one on the left was cut 7" and the one on the right was cut 8". For the lighter one I added a little stitching embellishment.


On Bonnie's blog one of the ladies in a workshop she was giving was using this as a little trash bag next to her sewing machine. She just had it sitting on the table next to her machine. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to hang these like my other thread catchers do.

My guild is hosting the Colorado Quilt Council in a year and we need to come up with little gifts to make. Last time we did pin cushions. I am going to propose we make these this time. They are super simple to make and cost next to nothing to make.

In case you want to make one:

1. Cut off the bottom 7" or 8" from a leg of a pair of old jeans.
2. Turn it wrong side out and align the side seam in the middle. It helps the bag stand up and you won't have so much bulk to sew through if you put the seam in the middle of each side.
3. Sew the cut edge closed using about 1/2" seam allowance.
4. Box the corners and you are done.

You could line these I suppose, but for me the point is that it's easy and fast. It's a trash bag after all so I don't really care what it looks like on the inside.

Here's a sneak peak at what is currently on my design wall.

5 comments:

Stephanie in Michigan said...

Lynn, I was trying to post on your blog yesterday, but blogger kept saying it was down. So, I'll try again (if I can remember what I was going to say!).

I love your little trash bag. I saw those on Bonnie's blog, too. I love how you embellished yours!

I love what's on your design wall. Looks like something from Oh Fransson! Is it?

I saw your post about the charity quilt. Like you, I have heard people say things like, "It's too good for charity." Also like you, I found that comment to be troubling. I agree that charity quilts should be nice, pretty, and well constructed. The gift should be from the heart, which means it is something you would like to have also...not some throw away quilt. Why shouldn't someone in need have a beautiful quilt to cherish? My hat is off to you, and I'm giving you a "standing o" just like the other commenter (cannot remember her name right now...Karen?). I am so impressed with all you accomplish and you still take time out to make things for someone else. Good for you. And I love your idea about using those to practice your free motion quilting. I need to adopt that philosophy. (I am one of those you wrote about who can't stand to waste fabric and batting to practice!)

Melissa ;-) said...

You won't believe this, but hubby just cut off a pair of jeans on Sunday and I wouldn't let him throw out the legs. I was just thinking this morning about whether I would do something with them or toss them in the closet with all of the other neglected projects. Thanks for the idea! One for scraps and one for threads and I think I will hang them as I'd only knock them over anyway! The design wall looks very intriguing... I am going to have to resort to making one for myself as now that I have three dogs and one is a puppy attached to me at the ankle, using the floor isn't working out so well anymore!

Melissa ;-) said...

Hey, Lynn! I just wanted to let you know I made up a couple of these and posted about them on my blog with appreciation to you!!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.pozycjonowanie.v5top.pl]pozycjonowanie[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.miodymanuka24.pl]wrzody żołądka [/url]