Friday, March 30, 2012

Killing Two Birds ...

In October my art group made confetti landscapes. You can read about my experience here. I wasn't happy with how mine turned out. Then I realized that I didn't make a landscape so much as a background. Bird one: this little piece became a UFO.

My quilt guild issues a challenge every January and it is due in April. This year's challenge is "the view from my window." It must include 3D embellishments and can not use the color black. Bird two: the challenge due date is looming.

My plan was to use my UFO confetti landscape/background (which fortunately did not include any black) as a background for my challenge piece. And here it is, minus the binding.


The story: a Mourning Dove couple has built a nest in our neighbors tree right outside our dining room window. We watched the happy couple court and then build a nest. Now one of them stays in the nest at all times. I assume that there are eggs in the nest. So I have titled this little piece "Love Birds."

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Absolutely beautiful, Lynn.

West Michigan Quilter said...

That is so beautiful. I read your previous post and have seen it done, but never attempted it. What a clever idea to put the birds on it. It will make a darling walllhanging. Very Creative!

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, I always liked your confetti piece, and I like it even more now! I love what you did with the birds, and the story really makes it. Way to go!

Deanna said...

I hope you like it now, because you should! Great colors and textures, with a little unexpected embellishment.

merinz said...

It has worked out great! Just a question - what happens to the netting when making the background - is it possible to pull it all off after quilting?