Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Urban Nine Patch Variation

I made a few Urban Nine Patch variation blocks at my retreat a month ago. I finished up the last ones Tuesday evening. I will just apologize now for the terrible lighting in the photos used in this post. I took them Tuesday night and I knew they would be bad, but I didn't want to wait until daylight hours to finish them up. The colors are not accurate but you can see the layouts I was playing with and that is the most important part at this point. I'll get a better photo sometime soon during the day time.

First I should explain that I sewed my outside curved pieces on opposite of the way the tutorial tells you to. I don't know why! I am just not able to follow a pattern exactly I guess.

Here is the first layout I tried, sticking with my original block construction for all blocks.


In these next two I tried doing some blocks curved in and some curved out.



I really liked both of these. However, in the end I decided to stick with my original plan and made all the blocks the same. I know that I will be making more of these blocks since I will be teaching this pattern as a class at my local quilt shop.

Aside: I started a new job today at my local quilt shop, Heartstrings and Heirlooms. I will be taking over the shop blog also. If you click the link you will see that the blog is currently in need of some love.

Here are all the finished blocks.


Maybe today I can get them all sewn together and decide if I want to put a border on this or not.

If you want to make some of these blocks yourself, the ruler you need can be purchased here and the free tutorial/pattern can be found here.

4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love this quilt. You did an excellent job of piecing. As you know, this is something I admire. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Jackie said...

Just simply lovely!

Mama Pea said...

I really love how your blocks turned out! You know, the first time you showed them (at your retreat), I didn't even notice the outer circles were sewed on differently than hers. I love this layout. I also really like #3. Can't wait to see it all done. Very nice! Good fabrics, too!

Denise in PA said...

Wow - these quilts looks great! They look like they might be hard to do (I guess curved piecing scares me a little!) What a great new job! I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot!