Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Quilting for Mom

My mom made this Bento Box quilt and sent it to me for quilting.


I tested a couple of different all-over quilting ideas before deciding to quilt each block separately.


The loopy clamshells just didn't excite me. I really liked the big modern flowers but this quilt is a gift for a man. I don't know how he would feel about having big flowers quilted all over his quilt.


The first couple of blocks took about 20 minutes each to quilt. By the last block (and there are 20) I was down to 15 minutes per block.

For the center four-patch I did what I call "swoopy outlining." For the other two rounds of the blocks I alternated between "back and forth" and "wishbone," both are designs from Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Waters. It is quilted with black Signature 100% cotton 40 wt. thread. I opted for black mainly because of the back.


I also auditioned red, but it didn't really look good on all of the fabrics, the black did. The finished quilt measures about 47" by 59".

Hope you like it Mom!


4 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

The quilt looks great, I have that pattern, but never tryed to do it, I am fabric challenge or is that color challenge in picking out the right fabric for it. Love what your mother used in her fabrics.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Lovely quilt. I like the way you quilted it. When I first saw it I thought, wonder how long that took. Looks like a lot of work. But you did a great job. I may have to try that one.

Mama Pea said...

I really like how you quilted this!

Sharon said...

Saw at guild meeting. Wonderful mother-daughter collaboration ..