Friday, April 5, 2013

On the Border of Insanity

Are you familiar with the blog Green Fairy Quilts? If not, just click over and look around for a minute. I'll wait and you'll be glad you took a peek!

........

See what I mean? I have been envious, infatuated and just plain gobsmacked by the work Judi does for some time. Today I'm attempting my own version of some of the things Judi does. Holy Half-Square Triangles! This takes a long time!


This little bit has taken me about 4 hours. Granted, I'm nowhere near as practiced at this as Judi is, but sheesh! Usually I go through a bobbin about every 30 minutes. I'm still on the first bobbin after 4 hours!

Part of what is taking so long is that I'm using my only long arm ruler to do the straight lines. I have to go pretty slow on this part because I'm learning how to use this ruler. Right now it isn't as easy for me as the back and forth or circles.


Honestly, at this point I'm pretty sure it would be faster for me to use my BERNINA and the walking foot to do the straight lines. But I'll never get good with my Sweet 16 and a ruler if I don't practice.

I can't afford to spend any more time on the computer! I've got to mark registration lines for the next part and get back to quilting! Yes, you read that right, I am marking on this quilt. It's the only way to get even semi-straight lines. But I'm only marking a few registration points and letting the ruler do most of the work. It only takes a few minutes to make the necessary marks and is totally worth the effort for this kind of design.


4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, I wish I could see what you are doing better. I've always wanted to do ruler work, but don't think it will work with my machine. Besides, I doubt that I have the patience. Please take another picture when you are finished. I'm anxious to see more of this.

Denise in PA said...

I've been in awe of Judi's work for quite a while now. She's just amazing. You are doing fabulous! The only way to get that good is to
"just do it" - and you're doing it! Keep up the good work, it's going to look awesome! o:)

The Slow Quilter said...

She is a dynamic quilter and is doing amazing work. I do not have a longarm and not sure I could work it as well as you or her.

Mama Pea said...

I follow Judi's blog. She does amazing work. I admire you for even attempting work like hers. Totally intimidating for me. :-) It's looking beautiful, and I can't wait to see it done!