Friday, July 19, 2013

Tip of the Day

I've used a lot of irons in my day. As you will see in the photos below, I'm still using this no-frills iron. I am still happy with the iron, but I must confess that I have left it on unintentionally a time or two. My previous long-term iron had an automatic shut-off, which drove me crazy at times. It turned off after 10 minutes and took a seemingly long time to heat up. So I like that this iron does not have an automatic shut-off, but this also has its drawbacks.

This tip is really from my mom. Since she doesn't have a blog I thought I'd pass it along to you on her behalf.

Use a bracelet as a reminder.

Bracelet on iron
If the bracelet is on the iron, it means the iron is off.

Bracelet on me
If the bracelet is on me, the iron is on. This way if I get called out of my sewing room I am wearing a reminder that I need to go back and turn off my iron.

I've been using this system for several weeks (after leaving my iron on all night) and so far it has worked wonderfully for me.


6 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

I've used that reminder before, but find this works better for me. I have a floor light right by my ironing board. Both the light and the iron are on the same switch. I would never leave that switch on if I left the room for any length of time, mostly because I can't stand lights on when there is no need. So remembering to turn off the light also turns off the iron.

Paula, the quilter said...

I plugged a night light in the same power strip as the iron. If the light is still on I know the iron is on too.

sillyewe said...

I do the same trick with the power strip and the light. :0) But I like the bracelet reminder as well for those times when I iron elsewhere with my mini iron. I am THE WORST about leaving small appliances on. :0)

merinz said...

Good idea.

I was at a patchwork class once and the iron was sitting there for us to use when we needed it, it had probably been on for some time. Then I noticed smoke rising from it and it burst into flames. Needless to say we all made a hurried exit from the room. Our hostess had a fire extinguisher which was out to good use!

Lies Koster said...

Clever invention, the bracelet. But also the combined light-power swtch is a good idea! I mostly avoid ironing... huisvlijtigliesje.blogspot.com

Mama Pea said...

Good idea. I leave the light on in my sewing room, which means my iron is on. But I'm often foiled, because hubby comes behind me and shuts the light off. Grrr...