Monday, August 8, 2016

Huggable Bunny Book

We recently received three new soft book panels in my shop. This morning I got one of them made up.


This one is "Huggable Bunny." We have a dog one and a chick one too. I hope to get them made some time this week. They don't take very long to make and are a "beginner" level project.

These are from Studio E and are typical soft book panels with the directions printed right on the fabric. The book panel is a yard of fabric and I used fusible fleece instead of batting in between the pages.

I have a pet peeve about some of these books. To be fair, I've noticed this about some kit instructions too, not just soft books. My issue is that they say you need to purchase a yard of batting for this book but you only need three 10" by 18" pieces of batting for the book pages and scraps for the ears. With a yard of fusible fleece you would have enough for two of these books and at least some of what you would need for a third book! If you bought batting off the roll, a yard would be enough to make four or five books. I don't mind getting a little extra in a kit in case I made a mistake, but I don't want more than double what I need! 

We have made kits for these books in my shop but are only including a half yard of fusible fleece in the kit. We did the math and couldn't figure out how to easily give customers less than a half yard since you need 18" long pieces. A half yard is plenty for one book! Makes me wonder. Did the person who wrote the instructions not know how to figure out the correct amount of batting or were they just too lazy to do so?


1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Cute little book. Thanks for the tip. I'm always wanting to save money.