Friday, March 25, 2022

Nine Patch Quilt :: A Finish

 My mom pieced the top of this quilt and sent it to me to finish and donate to charity.

nine patch charity quilt 1

For the back I used this adorable elephant fabric.

nine patch charity quilt backing

To quilt it I used a few different rulers.

nine patch charity quilt rulers used

In addition to the two above, I also used a straight ruler for stitching in the ditch. I stitched in the ditch around all of the blocks first. Then I used Elvira to quilt the nine patch blocks.

nine patch charity quilt Elvira quilting

The nine patches were made from 2 1/2" strips and Elvira is designed to quilt this pattern on 2" finished size pieces.

I used Chevy to quilt on the plain green squares.

nine patch charity quilt Chevy quilting

I went from one side of the quilt to the other then came back to get the other side of each square. Then I turned the quilt and repeated the process so that every plain square got quilted the same from all four points. It created an interesting pattern on the plain squares.

It finishes at about 40" by 50". Here is the finished quilt again.

nine patch charity quilt




No comments: