Wednesday, September 27, 2023

New Pillow Cover for Me

 I shared this idea with you previously in July. Click here to read that post. I finally got it finished!

Here is what it looks like all stitched but not sewn into a pillow cover yet.

Finished Pillow Front

For those of you who are curious, here is what the back looks like before I sewed it up into a pillow cover.

Back of stitched pillow

I cut a piece of batting the finished size I needed the pillow to be. Next time I would cut the batting about an inch larger than the finished size. I added the fabric directly on top of the batting and hand stitched each piece down one at a time.

Here it is with the pillow form inside and ready to use.

completed pillow

It looks a little lumpy because (1) the whole thing shrank up about 1/2" from all the stitching and (2) I didn't put any fabric on the back of the pillow front, just the batting so the pillow form didn't want to slide easily into place. 

Lesson learned, the next one I will cut the batting larger to start with then trim to size before turning it into whatever it will be. And if I decide to make another pillow I will put some fabric on the back so the pillow form will slide more easily into the cover. I've been using it for a couple days and it looks better already!

The back is a simple envelope back closure, also used scrap fabric for that. Thus, in a certain sense, this was a free project! The pillow form is actually an old pillow that I keep making new covers for. Not even sure how old it is, but it still works.



No comments: