Thursday, September 30, 2010

USS Electokate

On Monday my husband carried home, about 3 blocks, a huge empty box. He received a delivery of chairs for the Math Lab. The chairs came in the box. All kids love boxes and our son, Parker, is no exception. The box has become a nebula class star ship.


The box is so large that I had to carry it around the house to the playroom patio doors to get it into the playroom.


The dome is a plastic shade that fits over a bulb. These were the old playroom lights, just bulbs hanging from the ceiling with these sad plastic shades clipped on. It makes a great star ship dome though!

I'm not sure what all the markings are for on the inside, but Parker has been working very hard on it every day after school.


He has a used aluminum pie plate that will become the deflector shield soon.

I have been swamped with work lately. I am taking a labor intensive two week course on WebCT, an online course delivery and course manager type software. Since I am doing more classes these days and the classes are online courses, I thought it would be a good idea for me to finally take this course so I can use WebCT in my job. I am taking this course in addition to my regular jobs which is really cutting into my sewing time. So this star ship project is about the most exciting and creative project going on at my house right now.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

That is great. I love kids' creativity! Can't wait to see what else he does with it.

I use WebCT a lot to support my classes. I am sure I don't know how to do everything. This year, I have put all my quizzes on-line, so I've learned more about the testing components of it. (I used to use it mostly for posting handouts, assignments, etc.). But I love having an on-line gradebook so students can check their grades all the time. I would like to try putting my course on-line sometime to see how it goes. But I want to record lectures and I have so many in-class activities, I haven't figured out how I could do some of them on-line. Have fun with your class.

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

This is so intriguing! And your class sounds facinating, too. A good life.