Monday, August 11, 2014

A Little Saturday Sewing

My husband is still recovering from foot surgery. His next appointment is Thursday afternoon. Hopefully he will be able to walk on the foot after the appointment and then be more independent.

So ... still not much sewing going on over here.

I was able to sew most of the afternoon on Friday while at work at my LQS. Not so good for business (since the reason I got to sew for so long is because we didn't have any customers) but good for me. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture. I guess I'm out of practice at sewing and then photographing. I left the project at work so I'll photograph it next time I work.

On Saturday I was determined to make some progress on a sewing project - ANY project. I chose to work on the next block of the Christmas Quilt I'm finishing for my friends. If you want to see my previous posts on this quilt, click on this link.

The next block is the seventh of twelve. It has only a few pieces to be appliqued, but the main one is a large tree that required some machine piecing before cutting out the applique.


Above you can see the pieced applique background and the section of pieced strips that will become the appliqued tree. All those seams are making it interesting (read "interesting" as "difficult") to hand applique the tree. Never having done this before I thought I'd try it. I'm not sure I will do it again. At least not anytime soon.

There is some other machine piecing for this block. I went ahead and did what I could of that before starting the applique.


The rest of the machine piecing will have to wait until I finish the applique and square up that section.

It was nice to spend a good chunk of time in my sewing room on Saturday!


1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Glad you got some time to sew. Hope things go well at the doctor's appointment. This block looks interesting and I'm anxious to see what you do with it. I love applique.