Friday, August 1, 2014

Flying Geese Block Challenge

My LQS, Heartstrings and Heirlooms, is hosting another block challenge. This time you purchase a fabric kit and must use all four of the included fabrics to make any 12.5" square unfinished size block that contains at least 3 flying geese. Below is my entry.


The print fabrics are the ones included in the kit. I added the solid Kona Ash from my stash. I used this free circle of geese paper piecing pattern. I changed the pattern to make the star in the center by using a fabric other than the background for that piece. The pattern was very accurate once I figured out how to make my printer print the pattern full size. (This was not a problem with the pattern but with my computer and printer)

It was fun to make but did take a while as all paper piecing does for me.

If you are local and want to participate the kits are available in the store near the register. They are $2.50 each. As with our previous block challenges, there are prizes.



2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love the idea of this challenge. Your block is great. Paper piecing is what I would have chosen too. Like your idea of the different fabrics to make the center star. I'll have to try that.

Mama Pea said...

I've made this block before. It's a lot of fun and really a cool block.