Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pottery Shapes Completed

Here is my finished Pottery Shapes piece. I am very happy with how it turned out. This started as an art group homework project. We got together and took photos of vases, bottles, baskets and anything we thought had an interesting shape. Then for homework we were to take two or three of these objects and arrange them so that they overlapped, but piece them so that you could still see the outline of the objects in the back. However, none of the objects we photographed appealed to me when it came time to actually make something. So I was a bad student and didn't do my homework.

A couple of weeks later I got a Sundance catalog in the mail. The middle pitcher in my pottery shapes piece was on the cover of the catalog. I thought it was such a nice shape and a cute pitcher. It came in creamy white and turquoise and green I think. I thought "this is such a nice pitcher maybe I should order one," until I saw the price - $90!! I realized that buying one was out of my budget, so I used it as inspiration for this piece. The other two vases were also from the catalog, but I don't think they were for sale. They were just props in a photo spread selling other objects.

I've been a busy bee while my boys are away skiing. They called about an hour ago and are going to spend another night. It snowed all day at the ski area. The roads are bad and my husband is tired, so they are just going to spend another night in a hotel and come back tomorrow. I miss them, but I really enjoy the peace and quiet in the house when I am home alone. Over the next couple of days I will be posting about all the things I was able to finish this weekend. No painting though. My back is a little better today, but still sore and I didn't want to risk overdoing it.

No comments: